Thursday, January 30, 2014

Rustic Wine Rack - Wineaux

What do you get when you cross a wooden ironing board, towel rack and garden rake?  A rustic wine rack, of course. 

When I bought this old wooden ironing board at an auction for $10, I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with it, but I knew it would be something good!

I stripped it down - it had at least 5 layers of ironing board covers among the deteriorated foam and an odd assortment of yucky stuff.  Every layer went immediately into a garbage bag.  My husband then shows up, shaking his head, and mumbling his usual phrase, "what the heck do you think you're going to do with that?".  My typical response, "you'll see!" (and so will I once I figure it out.)

I searched Pinterest and  Googled "old ironing board projects" and found a lot of photos, but nothing that I wanted to replicate.  I saw a few wine rack ideas, but not like I wanted.  At that point I realized that I did want to make some kind of wine rack, but what would I use to hold the wine bottles?  For the next couple months, I came up with a dozen different ideas -  fortunately, this time, my husband wasn't quick to jump on any of them, because I kept changing my mind.  (Some of the holders I had thought of were: hose clamps, old belts, leather straps, wooden shelves with holes, metal wine bottle holders, etc.).  This part would come later.

I had seen several "pins" of wine glass holders made from old garden rakes.  OK, that would work - I found one at the flea market for $3.  I brought it home and tried to explain to my husband my vague idea of the ironing board wine rack.  He cut the handle off and we decided to paint it with a new plastic coating spray paint we'd seen at the Home Depot to protect the wine glasses.  Our Home Depot only had red Plasti Dip, so he used that and then painted brown over the red plastic coating.  I found the wrought iron-look rack on an on-line garage sale for $10.  That was also painted with the plastic spray and covered with the brown paint.  The legs were removed from the back/bottom of the board and stained a dark warm brown.

I wanted some kind of shelf or box to hold a corkscrew and wine charms.  This was made from wood and covered with wine corks and cork squares.  On the front I added "Wineaux" (it's such a fancy looking word) with colored, adhesive vinyl. 

Once I had all the components figured out, it was time to assemble it.  I laid it all out on the board and my husband attached the pieces with some sort of fasteners that look like large staples.  He then added some heavy duty hooks to the back so it could be mounted on the wall.

I just LOVE the way it turned out.  My plan was to sell it, but now I think it may find a way to my dining room wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment