Wednesday, October 30, 2013

BARN SALE BENCH RETURNS HOME


 One sunny Friday in October I decided to take a little drive on my lunch hour.  It was unusually warm and I was tired of sitting at my desk all week.  I stumbled on a Barn Sale and found this bench, that I stole for $10.   I knew I could do something with it, if I could just find the right fabric.  (The woman who sold it to me asked me to send her a picture of the makeover when it was done.)

I wanted something modern, in a simple, luxury print.  Gray is my new favorite decorating color, so I had a starting point.  I checked all kinds of websites and images on-line and considered a few of these patterns:


Then I remembered this bench I saw in Kirkland's that I just loved.  


Maybe I could make something similar. 




This tan damask print was pretty, but it wasn't gray.







Then, I found this on an Etsy site (Fabric Secret) - Yep, this was it!

I decided I could make a couple pillows for it and I found this cute coordinating (negative print) fabric and ordered them instantly. 
Though she (Vivian at FABRIC SECRET) shipped fast, I was so anxious to get started. 



 
I sweet talked my husband into painting the legs.  (Actually, he won't let me spray paint in his garage anymore because I'm a little messy - so he does ALL my spray painting).

I won't go into to all the upholstery details, but I had to replace all the foam padding and batting under the old, dirty fabric.  And this is my result:



 I LOVE IT!
 
 
But it's too wide for my foyer where I wanted to place it.  So I decided to post it on Facebook for sale to see if I could sell it. I had sold other pieces on my So Very Shari Creations page (Like me at
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/So-Very-Shari-Creations/266454463458868).  I listed it to see what would happen.  In the mean time, I had mailed a picture of it to the previous owner with my business card. 
 
She and her husband sent me a friend request on Facebook and commented on the photo I had placed on my page.  When she asked how much I wanted for it, I was a little embarrased to tell her the price, since she knew I only paid $10.  But I figured I had some time and money into it.  Without hesitation she said "I'll take it"!  I was estatic.  The bench was to be returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment