Thursday, March 22, 2012

9 MINUTES! WHY 9?


As my alarm clock started beeping at 5:35 AM this morning, I reached for the snooze button, just like I do almost every morning. I continued this routine a few more times, until 6:02, came around and I could hear the coffee maker starting to grumble.  That's my cue to get up.  For someone who has trouble doing calculations in my head, it always amazes me how good I am at "alarm clock" math in the predawn hours.  But, I just have to ask - why 9 minutes? Why not an even 10 or a comfortable 15 minute interval?  Who came up with this number?  Did they do a study and determine that's how long it would take to snuggle back down under the covers and start to drift off to dreamland again? 


Over the past few years, I've have started a strange sleep pattern.  I will sleep restfully for a good 2-4 hours, then be wide awake for 2 or 3 hours (until it's time for my alarm clock to go off) and then be ready to sleep again.  Yep, just about the time when I'm supposed to be getting up, I'm ready to go back to sleep.  It's kinda like the opposite of a nap. I guess I'm in my own time zone. This morning at 2:37 AM, while I lay wide awake in bed, staring at the glowing blue numbers on that damn clock, I couldn't help but think (anxiously) of the upcoming 9 minute segments when I could get some of the most wonderful wonderful ZZZ's of the night...just 3 more hours!

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem! I have trouble and wake up on and off until 6:15 or so. It is almost like my body says, ok, you really have to get up at 7 so let's get some sleepy now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's funny the coffee pot is your cue... and you dont even drink it! :)

    ReplyDelete